Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Death

This morning I received the news that a young woman I went to school with had died. Though I don't know all the details and haven't had any contact with her over the years since we left school I do know that she left behind family and friends that cared about her very much. She grew up in Lucasville and went to the same school as me. There were people who worried about her, prayed for her and depended on her. She was the same age as me, she had children, parents, grandparents...so, if all these factors were the same, what brought her death before mine? How can I be so arrogant to live my life every day like I have a million more to waste?

Over the years I have seen death more times than I would ever want to in my lifetime. I've lost a cousin and a grandparent. Close friends have lost relatives as well. I've prayed for the dear lives of little children, only to have to stand by as their parents grieve over their deaths. I've heard of numerous people my age dying...one in particular of an undetected heart problem that took him suddenly. Though I act as though I could not possibly be next...there is no way for me to know that.

Though I cannot know when I will die....I can know without a doubt where I will go when I die. Because I have trusted Jesus Christ with my life and I believe in his death and resurrection I don't have to fear death. Though my time could come today or 60 years from now...I will always know where I will be when that moment comes. Since I have this confidence in my own life, what worries me most when I hear of tragic deaths is...what if that were my unsaved family member or what if that were my neighbor that I never took the time to talk to about Jesus? It is not so terrible for me to live my life as if I will never die as it is to ignore the fact that it could be the people around me who have never heard about Jesus.

So, when faced with death, I pray that you will 1. Reflect on your own life...do you know where you will go when you die? Do you live as if your death will never come? and 2. Reflect on the lives of your family, friends and neighbors...is there someone in your life who doesn't know Jesus? Speak to them about it before it is too late.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Your thoughts are really similar to what mine were yesterday. Who is out there that God wants me to minister to and tell them about Jesus. Did I miss an opportunity? (Of course, I've missed lots!) God help me to be a witness for you! May I show the love of Jesus so that others may see the assurance I have of my salvation and the hope in Jesus--and Jesus alone. Love you sweetie--once again, you blow me away with your words.