Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Maleigha's Test: Part 2

Well, we went to Cincinnati yesterday with the intention of hearing some news about the test that Mia had done a few weeks ago. We were not expecting her to have to have another test done...and find out that she needs yet another test in December. I am glad that they are being so thorough in their diagnosis and treatment and the people at Cincinnati Children's Hospital are so nice...but I have discovered that I am not as patient as I thought I was. I really just want to have all the tests done and know the full extent of what is wrong so that we can fix it and move on with our lives. At the same time, over the last few weeks and through watching all the kids coming in and out of the hospital yesterday...I have seen how much I really have to thank my amazing God for. We have our Mia with us and she has a condition that is treatable and she is currently functioning just fine. And thus far I have learned to trust God more than I ever have and I am learning patience...though that may take awhile.

We found out yesterday that the results from Mia's last test were not so good but the doctor said not to really freak out about that yet because Mia simply being upset while the test was taking place could have possibly caused the results to be skewed. He said the test showed that where her bladder should be holding 40 mL at a time, she can only hold 1. And then the ultrasound that she had yesterday revealed that her bladder is having to work way too hard and this has caused scar tissue to form along the inside of her bladder. And because her bladder cannot get rid of urine as it should, there is urine collecting on her kidneys which has caused some swelling and over time could cause distress for her kidneys.

I have a hard time not thinking too far ahead to some of the possibilities that the doctor mentioned...to surgery, to the possibility of surgery not even helping the problem, to having to learn to catheterize my own daughter, to kidney problems...and my mind can even come up with things that the doctor didn't even mention. But God continually pushes those things out of mind, reminding me that he will only give me what I can handle and that through suffering comes endurance, character and hope and he is leading me step by step (not giant leap by giant leap) and that all things will work together for my good. God's Word gives such great encouragment in times of uncertainty!

I just ask that you pray for Maleigha as we continue this process. Please pray most of all that God would be glorified in my and David's thoughts and actions. God has truly blessed us with friends and family who faithfully pray! Thanks!

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am so proud of you and your attitude through this whole thing. God has already done such an amazing work in your life and I know He will continue. You are a great example to a lot of people of how to trust God through each situation that comes up. I love you so much--and I love that little lady of yours!!! I know that God will watch over our little Mia and will be glorified through you and David and your responses and lives.

sherry said...

The story you shared about Mia reminding you to pray touched me, I really just think she is a doll, I trust that God will take care of this situation & we know she is precious in His sight, I can just imagine that precious little thing sitting with her hands clasped in prayer waiting to give thanks. Like you wise mother said God has been gracious & blessed you & I trust this will continue & will pray that this can be corrected.....soon.