Friday, October 17, 2008

Mommy, we didn't pray yet

I really believe that we are given children to sanctify us in so many ways. I have learned so much already in just the short year and three months that my daughter has been in this world. She teaches me patience on those days that she won't let me out of her sight even to go to the bathroom. She keeps me from being lazy by getting me out of bed at 6am. She teaches me how to not hold a grudge when she gives me a big hug after I've just punished her for opening the kitchen cabinets. She teaches me what it really means to love...just because she is so lovable.

But this week, she really put me in my place when I neglected to thank God as I should. I was in a hurry to get our lunch ready because I wanted to get her down for a nap on time. I put her food in front of her and she sat quietly as I ran around the kitchen getting something for myself. I quickly got my food and drink, sat down and immediately began eating. She just stared at me like I was doing something weird and then she did something that made me stop what I was doing...she bowed her head and closed her eyes as if to say, "Mommy, we didn't pray yet." I followed the example of my little Mia and bowed my head and prayed. And in my heart I was thanking God that slowly my daughter was learning to love Him.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kids have a funny way of doing that. Sweet story...thanks for sharing.

Patty said...

We never quit learning from our children. I have learned much from you in the last few years. You are a great mommy for little Mia and she is a sweet little lady, whom I love dearly!!! Thanks for sharing this story....I think I was put in my place a little too. Love you!