Tuesday, October 6, 2009

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

I have found it difficult lately to memorize scripture and have made excuse after excuse for why I am not doing this much need discipline:



1. I have a two-year-old who not only demands my time when she is awake but leaves me a million chores to do while she is asleep...although I've seen young women with more children than I have find the time. Above is a picture of my little distraction.

2. Like many other people I know, it does not come naturally for me to memorize anything. At times I unintentionally sink into the philosophy of "why memorize anything that you can look up on your laptop or cell phone within seconds of needing to know it?"

3. I fill my mind with so many other things...although I haven't been so guilty lately of wasting time with TV and internet, I have rediscovered the library and historical fiction and have spent the hours of Mia's nap held captive by the curious combination of hard facts and an entertaining story.

But as I have found out, the benefits of memorizing scripture far outweigh the difficulties. The Lord has challenged my faith so much through the scripture He has placed on my heart in combination with the trials that I have had to go through. For example, I memorized Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" and Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" and Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not me anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" And soon after, our precious girl had to have spinal surgery. These verses, along with others sent to me by dear friends, became my strength. The Holy Spirit used the Word of God to calm my heart and build my faith in God.

The verse I am currently working on is 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things are are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." I look forward to seeing how the Lord will use this verse in the future as He has used so many others.


I pray that by the Lord's strength I will overcome all obstacles this week in order to memorize this verse...I will be intentional about waking up early, I will guard my heart against wrong, wordly philosophies that convince me that I don't need to have the scripture in my heart, and I will guard my mind against any other thoughts or activities that could keep me from God's word.

No comments: