Monday, July 9, 2007

Another crazy day!

I'm getting a little anxious and restless for our little Maleigha to come. I tried to spend the day out today so that I wasn't going crazy here at home. I went to a few stores and got the groceries we needed for the week.

I was feeling tired and ready to go home so I checked out with my cart full of groceries and waddled to the car. But as I approached the drivers side to unlock the door, my heart sank. The wheel that had just been replaced two days earlier had a flat tire on it. I put the groceries in the trunk and remained calm as I dialed my husband's cell phone. He was in class but I knew he would get the message because he had his phone on vibrate in expectation that I would go into labor any day this week. But when he didn't answer, I panicked a little and my crazy pregnancy hormones took over and I started crying. I didn't know what else to do.

David soon called back and I gained my composer. By God's grace the tire had gotten flat while in the parking lot so I was able to get a drink and stand (yes stand, because a large man had spread himself across the only bench in the entryway and didn't seem to notice that a pregnant women needed to sit down) in the air-conditioned comfort of Walmart. My legs soon became tired so I found a seat outside and waited where I would be visible to my husband when he arrived. But my attempt at resting was soon thwarted when two women decided to take their smoke break only a few feet from me.

I non-chalantly ambled back inside--not wanting my unborn child to be exposed to second hand smoke--and resumed my position, still without a seat. I watched as person after person walked through the automatic doors, each one either pretending there wasn't a distressed pregnant woman standing in front of the gumball machine or giving me a look as if to say "oh, poor thing" but never stopping to offer assistance. I even thought back to moments ago when I had been crying in the car. There had been people sitting in the car next to me, clearly viewing the flat tire and my sobbing hysteria but not doing anything.

I became frustrated at first but soon realized that I wouldn't have done anything different. I certainly would not have spread myself across the only available seat but I probably would have avoided inviting anyone nearby to sit next to me. I would have walked by a upset young pregnant woman thinking, "certainly someone else is on their way to help her, I probably shouldn't get involved". Or if I saw someone crying in their car I would assume that territory was off limits and I should mind my own business for fear that they would be angry if I pryed into their affairs.

This incident really convicted me to do better. Jesus Christ talked to people who were considered outcasts and helped those who others looked over. I pray that I will not continue to live as I have, avoiding situations that may be uncomfortable. As a Christian I should be willing to step out of my way to help someone, no matter how inconvenient or awkward it may be.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Oh, my...my poor sweetie. I'm so sorry you had some troubles today. Bless your heart. Oh, how I wish I was closer to you--it's at times like this that I get really sad about that. I love you and am glad you are (apparently) safe at home now.