Sunday, July 29, 2007

Mia is here!


After 36 hours of labor, Maleigha Evangeline Dunham finally arrived on Wednesday, July 25th at 12:08p.m. weighing 7 lbs 2 oz. and measuring 18.5 inches long.
On Monday evening at 9, I started having contractions that were coming about 5 minutes apart. I really had myself convinced that I wasn't really in labor, so I waited an hour or so to say anything to David. By then it was nearing time for him to go to work so I thought I should probably mention it before he left me alone for a few hours. He waited with me as the contractions gradually got more intense. When they seemed harder to endure and they were coming closer together, we took off for the hospital. After going through all the paperwork and waiting for the nurse to analyze the situation, we ended up being sent home to try to get some rest--I was still only 1cm dilated.
Of course I couldn't sleep through the pain, so I spent the next 12 hours worrying and finding a way to cope with the contractions. Finally at about noon on Tuesday we headed back to the hospital. I wasn't able to stand the pain anymore and I thought for sure I had made some progress. But upon going through the same routine as I had the night before I was informed that I still was only at 1cm. I immediately burst into tears. I didn't want to be sent home again. Thankfully, the doctor decided to keep me there. I got some great pain medication and was sent over to labor and delivery.
To make a long story short, they found that I had scar tissue on my cervix making it impossible for it to dilate on its own. I got an epidural, one doctor stretched my cervix I got some Pitocin and I slept throught the night. The next morning another doctor came and broke my water putting my labor into warp speed. I dilated 3cm in about an hour and soon found myself getting ready to push. The nurses couldn't find a doctor so I had to wait, but in all I only pushed for about 20 mintues and Mia was finally in the world.
We've spent the last few days getting to know our little girl and sharing her with friends and family. She is worth every day of pregnancy, all the painful hours of labor and every hour of sleep that I have lost. David and I are enjoying so much our little gift from God!

1 comment:

Patty said...

She certainly has arrived. I miss her already! Praise God for the beautiful little angel He has sent to join our family. Congratulations Krista and David--thanks for the fun. I love you all.