Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Devotions--July 4

Just wanted to share a little of what my devotions have been looking like in the mornings. I'm excited about what God is teaching me through simply reading and praying through His Word. I was inspired by the book "A Place of Quiet Rest" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss to do better in my time alone with God. I was led to start back on reading the bible in a year with the M'Cheyne reading plan and then taking meaning from each chapter by writing down what I learn and praying over it. I thought maybe this would inspire someone to do the same--it has been so fruitful already!


Genesis 37--Joseph was favored by his father, Jacob, so the other brothers hated him. Joseph had two dreams which symbolized his brothers bowing to him--this made them hate him even more. Joseph’s brother plot to kill him but Rueben saves his life by suggesting they throw him into a pit. A caravan of Ishmaelites came and took Joseph as a slave to Egypt. The brothers lied to Jacob and said that Joseph had been slaughtered by a wild animal. Because of the brothers jealousy and hatred of Joseph, they sinned. I pray that the Holy Spirit would guard my heart against becoming jealous of anyone. Much is given to me by the Lord and I have no reason to envy another person’s possessions or talents.

Job 3--Job cursed the day he was born. He lamented to God about his sufferings. In his suffering he does not see significance in his life. May I, even in times of trouble and sadness, see the mighty hand of God on my life. I pray that I will remember that no matter how bad my life may seem, God has a reason for me to be alive and I should praise him for giving me life.

Mark 7--Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for holding to human tradition and keeping their hearts far from God. The heart of a man is evil and that is what defiles him. Jesus heals a deaf man and tells him no to tell of what took place--but he does anyway and people are astonished by the miracle. May I not cling to the traditions of man but follow what the Lord has for me to do and lean on his grace. Legalism can make us hard and unforgiving and I pray I will seek to be like Jesus, no matter what traditions I must break. And may my heart constantly be reminded that when I put too much faith in works I am taking away from the work of Christ on the cross. May I guard my heart against evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness so that I will not be defiled.

Romans 7--Just like a woman is free to marry another man after her husband dies, we are free from the law because we have died to it. And now we are free to be one with Christ. The law is holy because it was given by God and was made to teach us what sin is. Because of our sinful flesh we still sin and do not have the ability to do what is right. But we can remember that the death of Christ saved us. May I seek the Lord in my thoughts and actions so that I can do what is right but when my sinful flesh takes over may I also know that I am forgiven through the death of Christ.

1 comment:

Patty said...

You never cease to amaze me. I love you.