Friday, June 15, 2007

Summer Book List

Since summer is just beginning, I wanted to share some books that would be great for adding to your summer reading list. I know I look forward to having some time to catch up on my reading...I hope this inpires you to do the same.

I just finished the book A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. This book inspired me like no other, to daily come before the Lord and seek communion with Him. With accounts of her own experiences and struggles as well as with the encouragement of other godly women, this book gave me a spiritual boost to long for the presence of my God. After reading each chapter I would have such a strong desire to spend time with God that I would immediately grab my bible and find a quiet place to meditate on His word and pray. I appreciate the ever present bluntness of DeMoss' writing style--she does not shy away from convicting her readers.
I would also recommend Lies Women Believe by the same author. The light of grace shines to reveal the truth from God's Word. When I read this book I was forced to struggle with issues in order to figure out what the Bible really says.

In the past year I have also discovered that I like historical fiction. I began reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and couldn't put it down. The story of the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair unfolds with stories of struggle and of triumph, of celebration and of murder. The scenes were spectacularly described so that I really felt like I was there. I also found it exciting to see how history has effected our lives today, even down to the smallest detail...such as, shredded wheat being introduced at the fair and is now found in many pantries around the world today. I especially liked reading about Frederick Law Olmsted who was the landscape architect behind the Chicago World's fair and also designed the wonderful park system that we enjoy in Louisville today.

And finally, I would recommend that you pick up a biography. I have read two in the past year that were especially inspirational. A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot, which is the story of Amy Carmichael who labored in India to lead many young women to Christ. And the story of Ann Judson is revealed in My Heart in His Hands by Sharon James. Ann Judson, the first wife of missionary Adoniram Judson, spent her life by her husband's side, spreading the gospel to the people of Burma. Both of these women were clear pictures to me of what sacrifice looks like and their stories convicted me of how little passion I show for those who are lost.

No comments: